Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lemon Pie Bars


There is nothing I like better than guests on Sunday that need dessert! My sweet Mother in Law brought a yummy Chicken Pasta Salad and fresh fruit. I took care of the dessert. These Lemon Pie Bars were a hit with everyone. Fresh and lemony--a glimpse of spring.
The only thing better than a yummy dessert is a yummy dessert that is very easy. I put these Lemon Pie Bars together while the oven heated. Now that is a quick dessert! This recipe comes from a new cookbook I purchased called, "The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook" by Cheryl Day and Griffith Day. This bakery is located in Savannah Georgia. Every recipe looks delicious. I can't wait to try more!
I cut the recipe in half--I really didn't need a 9x13 inch pan tempting me. A 8x8 inch pan made 9 perfect servings. Just right for dinner today.



Lemon Pie Bars
Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
Mix ingredients together and press in the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan that has been sprayed and lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes, cool completely (I just put it in the freezer for 5 minutes) turn oven down to 325 degrees.
Filling
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
3 egg yolks
Whisk together all filling ingredients and pour in cooled crust. Put pan in a larger pan and fill large pan with hot water half way up the side of the small pan. Bake for 20 minutes until center is just set. Remove the pan from the water bath and cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate until cold. Top with whipped cream and lemon zest.

1 year ago--------Caramel Crumb Bars
2 years ago-------Chicken Corn Chowder
3 years ago-------Thumb Prints for Us Big Girls
4 years ago-------Thai Chicken Salad

14 comments:

Kayte said...

So pretty...and, of course, anything lemon is like a siren calling my name. You do such good desserts.

Nedra said...

These would be a BIG hit with my family who love anything lemon. I must make them soon!

Julie said...

These look fabulous, Cindy! I love lemon treats. I have pinned this and will be sharing it on my Facebook page tonight.

Have a wonderful evening!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks

Lorraine @ Cooking for Prince Charming said...

I found this through This Gal Cooks FB post, and I'm in love with this recipe! :) I LOVE lemon desserts. Pinning this to try soon!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

These look DELISH. I love lemon!

Grandma Scott said...

Thanks for blogging this it was really yummy. And I love lemon...

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, man, Cindy, these look fantastic. KInd of a lemon version of key lime bars. The hubby won't eat lime, but he will eat lemon. I've been on a lemon kick lately and these will be up next!

Katrina said...

Yum. Sounds like some key lime pie bars I make, but I have some Meyer lemons to use up....Love how quick this is.

Unknown said...

Ooh, I love lemon anything! I would need to make a smaller pan too. ;)

aimee @ shugarysweets said...

I love all things lemon! These look great!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Yum. Love lemon anything. This looks delicious.

YinMom YangMom Allie said...

What a perfect recipe! They look simply divine... And I love your first line about loving guests who need dessert! I feel the same way!

Julie said...

Hi Cindy!
Just stopping by to let you know that Carrie and I will be featuring this at tomorrow night's Marvelous Mondays party!

Have a fabulous weekend!

Julie

Cocalores said...

Sounds yummy and looks great! =) Anything lemon-y is going to be great for those first sunny days in spring! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be any day now, ha ha).